Lodown

Monday, March 06, 2006

Good question


When I was setting up this blog, I told my husband I wanted lots of photos on it. He joked, "what kind of writer are you anyway? All you want is pictures." He may have been kidding, but he hit on a question I think all writers often ask themselves: "Am I really a 'writer,' anyway?" Of course, it doesn't help when people find out you are a writer and ask, "what kind of writing do you do?" I know how much musicians love the "what kind of music do you play" question. How do you answer these questions when you question yourself as a genuine writer/musician/photographer/artist on a daily basis?

What type of writer am I? Sometimes, I am a lazy writer. I work hard at avoidance techniques. To pay the bills, I am a journalist, reporting on scientific medical developments that are so boring it makes me want to cry. Every once in a while (but not in years) I am a prolific writer, sitting at my laptop for hours pouring out writing that leaves me both exhilarated and exhausted. On a really good day, I am a writer who produces something that looks sort of like poetry, or lyrics, and it doesn't matter what it is because it's mine. Much of the time, I am an insecure, self-doubting writer who wishes she was dark and hip and full of stories that just had to be told. But the truth is, often times, I am just a girl with nothing to say.

So, what kind of writer are you?

3 Comments:

  • At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love you, writer ! :-))

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    I am a freaky friday can't shut up writer.

    Welcome to blog land!

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger Geoff Herbach said…

    I am often a girl with nothing to say, too, Alex. The rest of the time I'm so very ramped up and productive, I love my writing but hate my stupid, sweat-smelling, man self. Those are the good times, I think.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home