Lodown

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Can do!

I met with my advisor yesterday. I love my advisor. She is a quiet soul and knows her stuff. Her wild curls and signature velvet skirts make her look like a woods fairy, a nympth, sweet yet powerful. My advisor sat next to me at the imposing oak table in the Graduates office and asked me a question. In a voice so gentle it could sedate a criminal, she asked me a mundane question she has asked many insecure MFA students before me. "Are you ready for your thesis?" And before I could think, that crazed, ignorant girl that sometimes resides in my head spoke for me: "I will be!" She said confidentially. "Great, just make sure you have 80 pages by September." "Can do!" Ok, Crazed Ignorant Girl didn't actually say "Can do!" She may be crazy, but she is no kiss-ass. Either way, somehow, my lovely advisor got the impression that I know what I am doing. That I have this brilliant idea for a collection of short stories based on ONE, count 'em, ONE 6 page short story I already have. Let me see, I think that leaves...oh yeah, that's right, 74 pages to go. All of you real writers out there are saying, it's not about the page count Alex, it's about pouring out what you have to say. True. But please check post titled Filling up the pages for more information about that.

So, goodbye long summer walks. Goodbye lazy evenings drinking ice coffee on the porch. Goodbye Sunday brunches on some shady patio. I will be at home, in the dark, pouring out something onto 80 pages.

7 Comments:

  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    No, no. You're going to have to keep those brunches and porches and walks; especially the walks. Do not lament, good Alex; rejoice! Haroo! 80 pages. Now til September, that's like 150 days, that's like half a page a day. Or one every two days. Or 40 one day 40 another. Or, or, or ....

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger David Oppegaard said…

    Eric's right, dude. Write a little each day and suddenly you have a lot.

     
  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    Oh honey, you can so do this. Page a day. Keep it simple.

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger Geoff Herbach said…

    No problem at all Alex. Get up an hour earlier than usual and go for that hour. You'll have eighty pages so fast you'll not believe it!

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Alex said…

    That's ok, Anon, I love shallow babbling. I have an "I Heart Shallow Babbling" bumper sticker on my new Jeep. Long live shallow babbling.

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger Something dirty said…

    Anon, you seem like a swell gent and/or dame, but does anybody else think this is part of some weird public radio viral marketing scheme?

    I'm raving, pay me no mind.

     
  • At 10:03 AM, Blogger M said…

    I'm right behind you, Alex. Scary, indeed! But it can be done!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home