Lodown

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Required Reading

side-car.blogspot.com

One point I'd like to add to SideCar's post, and then we can put this whole blogging-as-trivial-babble thing to bed.

Blogging has been a little like speed dating for me. I know what Captain does first thing in the morning, and what weapon he might choose to put me out of my misery with if I cry outside his window after midnight. I share in Blogagaard's most embarrassing/thrilling Tobias Wolff moments. I walk along with Voix on her journey, painful and joyful and utterly naked right there on the screen. People I have never met respond to me, ME, with insightful messages of encouragement when I threaten to never write again. Those same strangers also freely share self-deprecating information on who their favorite Duran Duran member is- now that's naked! I may not know what they all do for a living, or even what they look like sometimes, but I know more important things than that. And to me, that seems the opposite of shallow babbling.

9 Comments:

  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    Oh honey, don't let anonymous hater comments bother you! It's kinda like all kinds of critics -- much easier to hate the writer than actually write yourself.

    And if you stop writing, I'm gonna come over there and kick your ass.

    How's that for threatening?

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    And Simon is TO hot.

    So just get all over your bad self.

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    Now stop distracting me, I'm trying to be profound about dying my hair.

    sheesh.

     
  • At 10:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    a kind endorsement, Lodown. (bow)

    dekuju, which is the Czech word for thanks. Or, dik, if you prefer the familiar.

    I shall post my revision. I'm a little more tame (publishable) in the second attempt.

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Alex said…

    SD- Bevakasha, which means "please" or "you are welcome" in Hebrew.

    Voix- So what color is your hair now? Did you style it into tiny crazed braids ala Adam Ant?

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Blogging makes me feel good inside. Like when I eat an Oreo cookie and then follow it down with a glass of cold milk. I drink cold milk after I blog sometimes but it's not quite the same thing.

    Or is it?

    :-)

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i dunno what the big deal is. i just use blogging to avoid my responsibilities, human contact with others, and to procrastinate with my fiction. it's less like speed dating than crack.

    but it does connect me to a larger circle of people i would have never met otherwise. it's all about community.

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i did like your post, if it wasn't clear...

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Geoff Herbach said…

    Yeah! Well put, Alex! I totally agree with you. I don't find this biz shallow at all on the blogs I read.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home