Lodown

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Now I'm hungry

I Just read Rand's post and it made me hungry. It got me thinking that the State Fair is fast approaching. We live four blocks from the State Fair grounds and I am beside myself with excitement. Last year, during Fair time, I was very sick and only made it to the last day, and had to sit down a lot. This year, my friend Tracy and I plan on going every day.

I should explain that my love for the State Fair is limited to its food. I am not a big fan of crowds. I don’t go on rides, especially ones that get shipped around the country and unpacked and assembled in a matter of hours. I stay away from over-grown chickens with bizarrely colored plumes of feathers, giant pigs who have recently given birth, and the general stench of the animal barns. The live music can be good, and it can also sometimes be hilariously bad. But the food, ah the food. Fry it, shove a stick in it, and I’ll eat it.

I have a list of favorites:
Proto Pups (no other corn dog will do), deep-fried Snickers bar, corn on the cob, Sweet Martha’s cookies by the bucket load. But the tops has to be Key Lime Pie on a Stick. They are sold in a tiny stand just outside the food building. Look for the green and white striped awning.

I am not sure if it’s the same brand, but just now, on the Food Network, Road Tasted had a segment on the making of these little slices of green heaven. Now I am even MORE excited about the fair. Ok, fair food.

Speaking of food, last night we had some friends over for dinner. The kids were polite and even took at least one bite of everything offered to them. I am not a mom, so I never know what to feed kids. For dessert, I made ice cream and we had “make your own sundaes” with hot fudge and two kinds of sprinkles. I had forgotten the whipping cream and cherries, but the kids didn’t seem to mind. Boone forever sealed his place in my will by exclaiming: this is just like Cold Stone Creamery! Dang I love those kids.

A friend's daughter once asked—I think she was two or three at the time—"Why can't every day be a hot fudge sundae?"

I am sensing a theme here. I think I’ll go have some of the green tea gelato I made yesterday. It’s divine.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger Geoff Herbach said…

    Oh my GOD I'm hungry. CHEESE CURDS. TERRIBLE MINNESOTA WINE SERVED AT 10 a.m. Ah, the Fair.

    Alex, wasn't sure what I was doing with that blog. Still not!

    AC Front: Landlady, shortly after we spoke about AC, notified me that there is a unit that goes with the apartment. Should have told you so you would not worry about my heat stroke.

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Rand said…

    Alex, I am sensing a need to create a social opportunity in which we can both cook and feed Herbach. I am the world's worst at scheduling these things (mainly because we have four schedules going at my house all the time) but maybe State Fair time would offer a chance to do a pre or post State Fair event on your lawn. Sound promising?

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger Jason said…

    Mmmmmm. Green tea gelato. Recipe please!

    I ain't from the South but the Sweet Potato Pie at the fair (the stand by the midway) is outta sight. I'm getting two slices this year. Then I'm walking to the all-you-can-drink milk stand and making a glutton of myself.

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Blogger Alex said…

    Geoff- no worries, just glad you are staying cool.

    Rand- you are so on! We have a brand new lawn so no parking on it, but let's do a get-together thingie.

    J- The gelato recipe is kind of a bear, but I'll email it to you. It's worth it. And I'll see you at the Dairy Building. I'll be the one getting a Freeze Brain from the chocolate malt.

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Lucas said…

    As a HUGE fan of the fair and the fair food may I just say, AMEN SISTER!!!

    Love all the foods on stick too and I love the award winning jams, jellies, cakes, corn, apples, kitting, seed art, animals & especially Princess Kay's head carved in butter. Sweet lord I love those sculptures in their rotating refridgerated case. I love seeing kids with fair hair. I love the excellent people watching, dang it, I just love the fair!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home