Lodown

Monday, July 10, 2006

Friends Don’t Let Friends Drink Starbucks


This weekend I went for a walk around my neighborhood with a good friend who lives in a slightly more “suburbany” area. We talked about the differences between city living and sort-of suburban living, and I noticed how often I raised the “I can walk to three coffee shops” flag as a source of pride. It seems silly, but yes, I am choosing to live in the city and give up the huge house and even huger yard for the sake of my daily walks to Java Train and Como Park. There is just something about the fact that every house on our streets looks so completely different from its neighbor, or that people live so close to each other they can share gardens, that really appeals to us. I understand, sort of, the allure of Woodbury or Plymouth or even St. Michael, where a friend of mine recently built a mega McMansion. I get that small children can ride their bikes in relative safety of the cul-de-sac and that the chances of three St. Thomas students renting the house directly across the street is smaller than in my neighborhood of West Como. I also get that you can probably build a 4000 sq. ft. house in St. Michael for a fraction of the cost it would be here. And maybe, some day, I may (hand to heart, deep breath…) choose to move out a bit further from the center of it all. But for now, as I approach 40 and am considering giving this whole parenting thing a try, I could not be happier in my tiny house and my tiny yard and my tiny porch on a street that end-caps in two privately owned coffee shops. Which brings me to my next subject.

It seems that mom-and-pop coffee shops are the last of the privately held small businesses to continue to flourish. Java Train down the bend is never empty, and they have just added a beautiful patio. On the other side of us, the Coffee Grounds showcases local music. They don't do that at Starbucks.

The whole Caribou/Islam thing confuses and saddens me, because I do like their coffee but as a Jewish girl born and raised in Israel, I feel guilty every time I go there. I tried to read about the subject a bit, but I still don’t really get it and being torn just makes me anxious so I stick with what I know: shop local. Support your local (and privately owned) coffee shops, ice cream shops, and bookstores. Put your money where your heart and home is, people, and we will all be better off for it.

It is a beautiful day outside, isn’t it? I just got back from the dentist (which I hate, but not as much as Voix does) and it wasn’t so bad. I got to drive down Summit Avenue, which is just so darn lovely. I am just in love with my life. Or maybe it’s the tall Cold Press…either way. Happy day everyone.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    Living in the city isn't always great but it is a fun place to raise kids, and you have a great neighborhood so close to Como Park (zoo, lake). We sled down that big hill on the west side of the golf course every winter. You can go and do almost every thing you need to do without ever getting on the interstate. Science Museum, Children's Museum, History Center.

    Stay stay stay in St. Paul! The main reason it is a great place to live (like S. Mpls or Nordeast or Uptown) is because of the great people who choose to live here - like you and your husband!

    And buying local is the BEST way to go. When you buy local 80 cents of every dollar stays in the community. When you buy Starbucks, Caribou, Blockbuster, Applebee's, etc. that money leaves.

    Blah blah blah. I had a lot to say today. And it's been hours since I've had coffee!

     
  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    I think local restaurants are my favorite part of living in the city. And being ten minutes from everything without having to get on the highway is also VERY nice.

    So you don't have dentist issues? Consider yourself lucky.

     
  • At 8:35 AM, Blogger Jason said…

    I have heard the urban designer Ann Forsyth says that every adult makes a choice: house or access.

    Living in the suburbs - you get house. Big house. Nice yard.

    Living in the city - you get access. Access to coffee shops, great restaurants (not Assholebees), libraries, unique shops, pro and amateur sports, parks, musuems, city and county services, etc. And most within walking distance but certainly within the reach of public transportation.

    So you make a choice. House or Access. Guess which I chose?

    And yes Alex...Buy local! Thank you. One of the great things about living in an urban area is the ability to put money back into your community by honoring local merchants. The concentrated high population of urban areas can actually support "mom and pop" type businesses unlike the suburbs. That way you're lining the pockets of someone local (who'll use your money to protect their business and further improve your neighborhood) instead of lining the pockets of some corporation (who'll use your money to get Jeb Bush elected.)

     
  • At 9:46 AM, Blogger Rand said…

    Yeah!!! What she and he said!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home