Lodown

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Project Run Away

I have been locked away in my little dark office, writing and revising and thinking deep thoughts. Since all my stories are based in Israel, this is an eerily appropriate time to be immersed in all of this heady stuff. But it also leaves me a little blue, so in the evenings I emerge from my room in search of some levity.

I found it in last night’s episode of Project Runway. I love that show. It’s so stupid, it’s great. In case you had something better to do on a hot Wednesday night, here is the punch line. The assignment was to design an outfit for a fictional woman and her dog. Each designer, and I use that term loosely, was given a tiny dog to use as their muse. Bradley, a sullen, introvert who seems to have last bathed in early 2005, was in a pickle. His design, you see, wasn’t working. Fast forward through a painful hour of fabric shopping, cutting, pinning, and general mayhem, and we see Bradley, an hour away from Runway Time (gasp) and he has made
nothing. Not a stitch. Nada. Not for the human model who is now standing by him wondering if she will have to walk the runway naked, nor for her little dog. Cut to Runway segment. Bradley’s model walks out in two pieces of billowy, shapeless pieces of fabric. One for a top, which looked like it was tied around her neck with a twist tie, and one for what I can only assume was a skirt. It may have all been duct taped together, I couldn’t tell.

The hoity-toity panel of judges, which for some inexplicable reason included Ivanka Trump, loved it! They gushed about his innovating point of view. They even had the size negative 4 model turn side ways to show the “flattering cut” of the “garment.” She looked like a potato sack in mid-flight. Bradley was as shocked as I was.

The judges, and the entire show, finally proved itself to be the joke that I always thought it was. But I still love it, don’t get me wrong. Now if only they would get rid of Heidi Klum. Avidasain.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:44 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    Maybe they should invite Red Green to give them lessons on duct tape fashion one day? That would be even more hilarious.

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger Citizen said…

    'A potato sack in mid-flight' -- great stuff, Alex! :-)

    I'm a die-hard fan of the show. Tim Gunn for President!

    Dan

    P.S. I was incredulous, too. The colors were pretty, but as far as how the outfit was constructed...but, if they say it's good, it must be good. Right?
    (hee hee).

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger Alex said…

    I would have bought Katherine's dress in a heart beat, but then again, maybe that should be enough to tell us why she got kicked off.

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger Rand said…

    I can't believe what I am missing without cable....

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Alex said…

    Yes Rand, without cable, you are wasting all that time spending hours and hours with your family, or reading, or driving Miss Reesie, or going for walks...it's really unhealthy. I worry about you, I really do.

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Blogger One in a million Saras said…

    Oh man, I am so addicted to the Runway. Since Santino didn't win, I allow myself to watch season 3. Seeing the crazies melt-down over sewing needles makes me giddy. I say "carry on" and "make it work" to myself all the time...

    And who thinks to himself "I'll put a basket on her head. It will become all the rage"?

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger Alex said…

    I know! Vincent cracks me up, I hope they keep around. He is like a train wreck on ecstasy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home