Lodown

Monday, June 26, 2006

On My Own


Last class is tomorrow night. I am feeling both exhilarated and terrified. I like structure. I like tight deadlines. But as of Wednesday morning, I am on my own with this whole thesis thing and it makes me want to crawl into the fetal position and suck my thumb until September. The two months between tomorrow and September, when my first 80 pages are due, seems like an impassable chasm, an endless stretch of rocky time as far as the eye can see. Without Sheila to hold my hand, weekly deadlines to beat me into action, and fellow students to try and impress, how will I find motivation?

True, I do have Rand and Voix, and that bitter little voice inside my head that keeps whispering about all the money I’ve already spent. But after all this time in school, I still feel decidedly uneducated. Wasn’t I supposed to know it all by now? Isn’t that why I signed on the dotted line- to perfect my craft, work out the kinks? I swear I know nothing.

Barrie Borich was right. My grammar is crap, my sentences waaaaaaaay too long, and I wouldn’t know a dangling modifier from a squinting modifier if both bit me right on the ass.

Have I complained enough? Ok, more coffee please. Gotta finish my final portfolio for class, come up with a lovely snack to share, and crack open Burroway.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    Rock it, sister. You can so do this.

     
  • At 5:17 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    Type type type! Clickety click clack. Move that mouse - click click. Words on paper, baby, words on paper.

    Pretend you are writing for Professor Voix and Stern Administrator Rand - "Ve MUST see zees documents! TODAY!!"

    You've got all the tools - just till some soil, chop some wood, carry some water.

     
  • At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Alex, I've only read one fiction piece by you but this is what I would say. You need to dig into the heart of everything you want to say and focus on that and ignore the rest and follow it wherever it leads you, even if it's not a pretty, poetical place.

    Would you still dig to China if you knew you'd have to go through the molten core of the earth to get there?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home