Lodown

Monday, August 14, 2006

The End is Near

I may have already mentioned that the Minnesota State Fair is right around the corner. Since I live about four blocks away, it is hard not to notice the preparations on the grounds. This year, there is an odd structure that resembles a giant white tusk. I have no idea why it is there. Maybe it just fell off a plane.

The arrival of the Great Minnesota Get Together is bitter-sweet. With it comes the end of summer, and the beginning of falling leaves and dropping temps. I have spent my summer taking walks with my dog, reading on the patio at my local coffee shop, and shopping at the Farmers Markets around St. Paul. I don't want summer to end.

On the other hand, there will be Pronto Pups. So you can see why I may be torn.

My father-in-law has a wonderful habit of sitting all the grandchildren around the kitchen table at the end of the day, dishing out big bowls of ice cream, and asking each one of them (there are 12 at last count) what their favorite part of the day was.

I am fresh out of ice cream, but I will ask you all, what has been your favorite part of the summer?

10 Comments:

  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    Napping.

    Lots and lots of napping.

    The BEST SUMMER EVER.

    Nap wise.

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    Cooking entire meals outside on the grill, keeping the kitchen heat and mess free. And then eating outdoors, too.

    I have had a very successful summer at not burning things beyond edibility.

    And the profound lack of mosquitos has made this cooking/eating outdoors thing work almost any night.

    But I am now tired of summer. I love every thing about school (which is why education is the career for me, and why I continue to pursue degrees) and I am SUPER THRILLED that back-to-school is just around the corner!

     
  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger Geoff Herbach said…

    Those hot hot hot hot days in July? I had a little window air conditioner that cooled like a mofo. Walking into that space when it was unhealthily hot in my apartment? Heaven. It was heaven. I actually thanked God for my little window air conditioner. Beautiful.

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Alex said…

    Rand, you must be in heaven at Super Target then. I went there for potting soil yesterday and was devestated to see that outdoor furniture has been replaced with huge bins full of notebooks and markers. But I think that happened right around July 4th.

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Blogger Citizen said…

    A week's vacation at the lake with my wife and my family. Why can't all weeks be like that? Fishing, sleeping, eating -- repeat. Fishing, sleeping, eating - repeat. Why?

    Why?

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger David Oppegaard said…

    Swimming in Lake Tahoe. Dancing with my ex-girlfriend's mother at the ex's wedding. Attending that science fiction con in the Tellon alien suit. The DMB concert in Indiana with Jay and Meagan. The drunken night when I finally figured out my novel The Cobalt Legacy once and for all. That Twins-Red Sox game I went to when the Twins completed a sweep of the mighty Sox and David Ortiz smashed a would-be homerun so high it hit a speaker and turned into the longest single ever and then he got mad and threw his arm guard at his dugout. Going to that piano competition at orchestra hall. Getting a parking ticker from the Mormon's in Salt Lake City and then visiting their space Jesus. Alice Cooper at the Taste of MN.

    Woah. Good summer, and it's not even over yet.

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Voix said…

    Ice cream. That's been good. The ice cream from Izzy's.

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger Alex said…

    David's birthday get-together this Saturday should be the highlight of the summer, wouldn't you all agree?

     
  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger Becca said…

    Hmmm... my list: handing out water for Grandma's Marathon, playing Play-Doh with my cousin's baby, meeting some of you at the Soap Factory, painting pottery with my friend, casting love spells and giggling under the full moon. There's still a lot left, though.

     
  • At 9:45 PM, Blogger Jim Wilkins said…

    Baby-sitting my 3 grandsons for a week, while dad went fishing in Canada. He is a stay at home dad, so he got his vacation and I got to spend some real quality time with the grand boys, ages, 5, 3, and 6 months. They were spoiled beyond measure and then dad came home, and I left. LOL

    Payback?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home