Lodown

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Sell crap- check

If you've missed me this past week, it's because I have been in my garage. Cleaning, sorting, and sign-making led to a weekend garage sale to beat all garage sales. We rocked. Like Christmas time at Rosedale, people just kept coming and buying shit. I mean, stuff. Teeny tiny microwave from husband's old apartment, gone. AC unit weighing a little more than a baby elephant, gone. Leather jacket from 1987, complete with Bon Jovi-like fringe (I kid you not), gone. Ah, the joy of cleaning house. In the process I also met many of my neighbors and got the inside scoop on the goings-on. Who died recently, who has wicked fights on their back deck, whose children required nightly police interventions. I know it all now. I am in the loop.

Now my attention has shifted from my garage to my thesis. Yeah, remember that little project? I meet with my advisor tomorrow and I am anxious/excited/ill to my stomach. She will have comments on my first draft. I will drink lots of coffee and listen to her while trying not to twitch too much. I will also try not to cry when she is done, and then I will go home and start over.

I love my advisor though. Read her book, The Grass Dancer. It's lovely.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:30 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    It will be great.

    You will rock.

    You have a charming husband, a clean garage, wacky MFA classmates who do things like create radio shows that never broadcast over the radio, and a life story that is an MFA thesis all by itself (would that you were writing creative non-fiction!)

    Listen, really listen. She wants to you succeed, too. She is not your enemy. She will help to give you a blueprint, a roadmap (pick your metaphor) - do what she says, finish that d*mn thesis, get that MFA.

    Hell, yes! Alex Lodner, MFA!!!

    Time to get to work!

     
  • At 7:01 AM, Blogger Voix said…

    So how did the meeting go?

    I agree that cleaning house is very satisfying -- good job!

    I'd have liked a picture of that jacket before you got rid of it, though. Sounds delish.

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Alex said…

    Meeting went well. She didn't say anything I didn't already know. She seems to feel I am further along than I thought I was, which is good.

    Lots of work to do by Dec. 1st though. Sigh.

    And the jacket, as Sam O would say, was Fantastic! I was rockin' it in 1987.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home