Lodown

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Things that scare me


- George Bush

- Jeb Bush

- The notion that we are raising a generation of girls who look up to Paris Hilton, who has done nothing to deserve her obscene amount of fame other than doing the nasty with some shmuck named Rick Solomon, who for his part is only famous for doing the same thing with Shannon Doherty, who at least at one time had a job.

- The president of Iran, and Mel Gibson.

- The possibility of losing another minute of my life to the JonBenet Ramsey case.

- Running out of coffee.

- That creepy beaver in that sleep-aid commercial. You know, the one playing checkers with Abe Lincoln? I don’t get it.

- When people ask me, so what are you going to do with your MFA?

- Myspace, facebook, and any web site that allows subscribers to accumulate huge numbers of “pretend” cyber friends, single-handedly reducing the title of Friend to a name on a list and the idea of friendship to a numbers game.

- Labor. And I mean that both in the child-birth sense of the word, and employment.

- McMansions.

- Did I mention George Bush?

- Bratz dolls, or as my husband likes to call them, Slutz.

8 Comments:

  • At 6:17 AM, Blogger Voix said…

    Oh yeah. This is a very good list.

    And I don't know who was getting thousands of words a day written -- I've tuned out those people. I only get a few hundred most of the time.

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    Yeah, you've pretty much hit all of the major offenders here.

    Now, for fun, flip it around and tell us the things that EXCITE you. Or INSPIRE you.

    We've got to get you on board the POSITIVITY TRAIN. Where happy people get their work done and smile all the while!

    Destination MFA!!!

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Alex said…

    Come on Rand. By now you know enough writers to know that positivity kills the creative spirit. Or at least, that's what I keep telling myself. Ok, next week, what inspires me. I promise.

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    I got my season tix for Lit6, bay-bee!

    Not sure I will be able to get to them all, but I wanted the luxury of pickup at the venue for those days when I can.

    Are you going Saturday night for the FIRST SHOW! (actually, I'm not even sure I can make it - but I feel obligated to spread the buzz).

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger Alex said…

    Sadly, I am not going to the Season Opener. I was planning on it, had my outfit picked out and everything, but now I am instead going to be attending a baptism in Wisconsin. Life is just not fair.

    Speaking of the fair, write more please!

     
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Lucas said…

    Things that scare me at the fair:
    (But just for the record, I L-O-V-E the fair with great passion.)
    - Back cleavage
    - People with St. Thomas bags full of free crap they will never use but took it just because it's free. What IS that about anyway?
    - Rides assembled by stoned carnies.
    - My endless appetite for fried crap on a stick.
    - The bottoms of my shoes after a day spent there.

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Citizen said…

    Especially the JBR case, Alex. Though all of the things you describe are awful in their own way. But seriously, that Karr guy should be executed solely for wasting pixels on my TV screen. That guy has nothing to offer this planet. Give him a free trip to Mars, that's what I say.

     
  • At 6:35 PM, Blogger Alex said…

    Amen to all.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home