Lodown

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Longing


Last night my husband and I went to Emily’s Lebanese Deli on University Avenue. I had been thinking about a large plate of hummus for a while, and Emily’s came highly recommended. It turned out to be a disappointment, just as all other Middle Eastern restaurants have been.


So I am throwing in the towel. I just don’t think that as a native Israeli I can be pleased. I don’t mean to be snooty about it. It’s just that it feels like I have tried every hummus and falafel sandwich in the five state area and it’s just not the same. I suppose it makes sense. If we get scientific about it, the water is different, which would make the wheat different, which would make the pita bread different…you get the point. Back home, a plate of hummus is served on shallow dishes and dotted with olive oil and paprika. Sometimes, it’s even garnished with an olive. It is also never as garlicky as the hummus served here. It has a much stronger tahini taste, and is served with fat, piping hot pitas. Sigh. I have been to restaurants where there are actual photos of this dish on the walls, yet when it arrives, it is in little bowls and has a slight resemblance to chunky pudding. This makes me very sad.




Big sigh.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's too bad Alex. I know it's hard when you are craving something but just can't find what you are really wanting. I whine because I can't find decent pulled pork up here which I fell in love with when we lived in Memphis. I guess that is what makes home "home". Lucas

     

Post a Comment

<< Home