Lodown

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Whew


Survived the weekend, mostly with the help of three and a half hours at the spa. We stayed at a beautiful cabin that is a part of the mega resort Wilderness Waterpark. It really is a great place for families, and fall is a great time to go because it is quiet. I don't think I could have tolerated it if there were thousands of screaming children and long lines for each ride. A cabin full of kids just about put me over the edge as it was. Now I am back in my quiet home office, with the dog and Food Network. Sigh.

As far as my thesis goes, I have lost any interest in it. That's bad. I am tweaking it, playing with word choices and sentence structure. But I can't seem to care about the characters anymore. It's like having a friend who talks about the same things over and over when you see them. I've heard what these people have to say already. And I've stopped caring. This is really not good.

My action plan is to spend a few days reading good short stories and books with the hope of being inspired. I just finished Drown. Any suggestions?

7 Comments:

  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger Something dirty said…

    Something old, something easy. Edgar Allen Poe. Dilbert. Something like that.

    Good luck :)

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger Geoff Herbach said…

    Stuart Dybek!

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tim Gattereaux. "Same Place, Same Things" collection. Amazing Lousianna writer.

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    How about something non-fictiony and fun, like "The Idiot Girl's Action Adventure Club" by Laurie Notaro?

    Brain popcorn always makes me feel better.

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    donde esta Alex?

     
  • At 11:55 PM, Blogger Lucas said…

    Alex. Taking a break? ALWAYS a good idea. After a while your eyes stop recognzing the letters and a nice long break from the material can help freshen your perspective. Go see a really stupid movie. Jackass, Number 2 for instance. It will take your mind off everything else and when it's over, perhaps you can concentrate again. Best of luck. I'm impressed and proud of you for even taking it on in the first place. It's not a race so take your time. And come to my Halloween party. That will do a body good. xo.

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    Lit 6 Saturday Oct. 14! Be there!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home