Lodown

Friday, April 28, 2006

Time is on my side


Today is my first day of unemployment. I have been very fortunate to have a writing gig for the last two years, but I just could not talk myself into being happy there another minute. Turns out, they felt the same way. It was U-G-L-Y ugly. It didn’t have to be, but people don’t always make choices I understand. As a good friend of mine put it, last week was like an episode of Survivor. Don’t believe a word your fellow castaways say, that’s not chicken they just served you.

Putting on my Think Positive Hat, I believe this is just the kick in the butt I needed to go back to the reason why I became a freelancer to begin with. I wanted to do project based work, not get imbedded in the every day politics and bullshit inevitable in most work environments. When I decided to freelance, I wanted to do more magazine writing, and focus primarily on marketing copy. So here’s my chance!

I am relieved, excited, and peaceful for the first time in over a year. I am sure that next week I will realize that I no longer have an income and that means I can’t shop at Byerly’s anymore or fly off to New York at a moment’s notice (after this one last trip in May, I promise it’s the last one…) and I am sure I will worry myself into the fetal position then. But today, I am cozy and comfy, curled up on the couch with my Buddy. The rain outside is like a cleansing, washing away the bad taste in my mouth, readying me for the next adventure.

Big, big sigh.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:22 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    Wow -- that's awesome! Yay you for moving forward on a difficult choice.

    I'm sure the best will come of this.

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    I think you made a bold and positive move - remember what Ralph Waldo Emerson said in his essay "Self Reliance":

    "..Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string. Accept the place the divine providence has found for you, the society of your contemporaries, the connection of events..."

    Good luck!

     
  • At 7:36 AM, Blogger Lucas said…

    I too am alternating between jubilation and the need to assume the fetal position. Call me when you need to chat sister! I know all the words to that song.

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger Honey Bunny said…

    i'm also unemployed! woot! i couldn't stand being in that office one more minute. instead of just taking the first job that's offered to me, i have to think about what it is i really want to do.

    i hope you'll find something you'll be happy with very soon :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home