Lodown

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Forgive my absence

I have been a hideous monster, hiding out in my bedroom for the past week. Seems I was afflicted with a rash, or hives, possibly from the sunburn I got in Florida. It was not pretty. My eyes were swollen, my skin burned and itched. Little bumps all over my body became sprawling patches of pink in a matter of hours. My wrists were so swollen and sore, I could not raise myself into a seated position. On the plus side, for one day, my upper lip looked like Angelina Joli’s.

To top it off, the only thing Doc prescribed was Benedryl. Turns out, I’m allergic. Nausea, dizziness, migraines, and all round mayhem ensued.

Oh, and did I mention the construction zone outside my front door? Yep. Try getting some shut-eye when a bulldozer the size of a small apartment building is ripping out the street directly below your bedroom. The house shook, the dog cowered, I cried. Not exactly what I envisioned for my first week of freedom…I mean…unemployment.

Amazingly, less than a week later, I am almost back to normal. Upper lip has deflated back to original size and I can walk upright for several minutes at a time. Hooray!

It is beautiful out. Have you been out there? Go. Turn off that computer and go out into the world. Things are blooming, as my husband’s recent sneeze fest illustrates, and the sky is the sparkling blue of spring. Now, if only that huge orange Vasko dumpster wasn't in my front yard...

6 Comments:

  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    Oh honey, that totally sucks! I've been down with the sinus infection of great evilness myself. Doesn't it suck to be sick in the springtime?

    Glad you're feeling better. Allergies and stress all rolled into one lowdown Alex! NO! Get out there and walk the dog a few paces instead. . .

     
  • At 9:18 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    Welcome back, Alex - I was worried that the Feds had read your last blog and that you had been sent to a "passivity re-training camp" so that you would just settle down and let the events of the world happen around you instead of speaking your mind.

    So sorry to hear of your sunburn rash. Hope you feel better soon.

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have taught me that when life licks you on the ear, you must lick back.

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Blogger Lucas said…

    Alex,
    Glad you are feeling better now. Sorry you were swollen and itchy; ICK! Hope this week, you can enjoy your freedom (er, unemployment) better than last week. Maybe take the dog for a long walk in the park and get away from the construction zone!

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    How ya doin' sugar?

    (I'm practicing my Southern accent so Rand can find me a mate.)

    ((and that's really only funny if you read his blog comments))

     
  • At 10:38 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    Hey, now, Voix - if you fake a Southern accent then those sensitive, polite, literary Southern boys will never see you as the portal to a new world of Dorothy-Parkeresque drunken nights at the Algonquin followed by barefoot wading in the fountain in front of the Plaza...

    And Alex, where the heck are you? The blog sez "Lo-Down", not "NO down." Turn up the volume, yo!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home