Lodown

Thursday, September 21, 2006

This is no Breakfast at Tifffany's

I did not leave my meeting with my advisor in tears. I did not crawl into a corner with my thumb in my mouth. I only drank one cup of coffee. It was the size of my head, but still…

In general, it was good meeting. The only surprise was that Susan feels that the collection of stories, which are meant to function as separate short stories about two separate sets of characters, works better as two novellas. I think I hate that idea. I don’t know. I have taken the last couple of days off from thesis, trying to let the conversation sink in. Novellas? All I could think of was Hispanic telenovellas.

I know that is not an accurate connection. I know about Kafka’s and Joyce’s novellas, among many other worth-while works. I don’t know. It’s a strange feeling, thinking you are creating one thing and being told you have created something else.

I get the message though. As stand-alone short stories, several do not work yet. I can live with that. I have two months to make it work And I will, I will make it work (she said, channeling Rand.)

In the mean time, I am off to Wisconsin Dells for a long weekend with Husband’s family, which includes nine grandchildren. Nine kids and 300 water rides. For three days. Please keep me in your prayers.





5 Comments:

  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger Lucas said…

    Ah, the smell of chlorine and the sounds of screams reverberating off the plexiglass. I've never been to the Dells but I can imagine! Actually, as long as they serve adult beverages, I think I'd have a blast! Let me know how you liked it Alex.

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    How'd it go?

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger Citizen said…

    Welcome back, Alex. Hope them Dells was Swells. Listen, I'm back in the blogging neighborhood. I won't be overly prolific or wordy, but I'm going to do my best to post daily. Stop by for a cup of coffee sometime. Rand, Voix, you too.

    Fall is in the air. Has anyone else noticed that?

     
  • At 10:10 AM, Blogger Alex said…

    I survived. Thanks to a few hours at the spa.

    Welcome back Dan! I've been thinking about you.

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Citizen said…

    Grazie! It's good to be back. Some time in the spa, eh? I could go for about 72 hours of that right now. I tell you, it has been a day.

    And to top it off, I meet with Susan in one hour. Eek!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home