Lodown

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Nothing to say


Have you ever had this happen to you? I have nothing to say. Voix, I know you are cocking your head in an attempt to understand. “What is this ‘nothing to say’ thing you speak of?” you ask. What I mean is, I have nothing important to write about, nothing worthwhile to discuss. And I don’t just mean in the creative sense. I met two friends for dinner last night and thankfully they had fun things to share, because I was a complete bore. You find this hard to believe, I know. But trust me, I had nothing. Which brings me to my main concern, my thesis. But maybe it’s a vicious cycle. Maybe if I start typing, something will come to me. Do you think?

I think it was E.L. Doctrow that said, “Writing a novel is like driving a car in the dark. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.”

So I will get behind the wheel and give this thing another shot. And if all else fails, there is always the Barefoot Contessa. More on my recent obsession later.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    My favorite Deborah trick:

    Write a list of ten abstract nouns.

    Pick one.

    Start writing.

    If you can't think of a list, let me make a few suggestions.

    1) obsession
    2) frustration
    3) fear
    4) happiness
    5) tiredness
    6) contentment
    7) inspiration
    8) anger
    9) incredulity
    10) . . .

    I like that head cocked to the side picture of me. It makes me sound cute.

    And if you can't think of anything else to write about, you can always write about me. Make me a fairy princess and write me a story about how much I totally KICK ASS.

    Thank you!

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    Once upon a time there was a fairy princess named Voix. A fiery dragon flew into town and wreaked havoc with his flaming breath, sharp claws and sweeping tail.

    Voix approached him, head cocked to one side, and asked "would you like to know ten things I hate about you?" Intrigued, the dragon sat on his haunches and listened. 'I will listen first and char her later for a tasty barbeque,' he thought.

    "First," said Voix, "your approach to widespread destruction is quite inefficient. You blow that stupid flame-spit all around like a garden sprinkler. You need to focus your efforts." The dragon furrowed his brow and set his jaw, but continued to listen.

    "Second, you really need to lay off that dragon-ale. Your gut hangs down like a sack of pineapples when you fly overhead." 'That's it,' the dragon thought. 'This chick is toast....burnt toast.'

    "Third," Voix continued...but the dragon could not hear any more words...he felt his furious flaming breath gathering heat and pressure in his breast as Voix's mouth opened and closed,as her mouth made the shapes of vowels and consonants. 'Wait, what did she say?' the dragon thought to himself. The relentless rain of words continued, multi-syllable words - sharp, pointy words - staccato rhythms of words - lists - suggestions - exhortations. Too...many....words....

    He tried to choke down the impending conflagration that was about to spew forth from his throat, but the force was too great. The dragon swelled to twice his size, his eyes bugged out, his long tongue flickered and turned purple and then he burst into a firestorm of scales, talons, tendons and dragon-flesh.

    Splattered with dragon goo, Voix stood her ground and cocked her head to the other side, smiling. Lucas arrived after her first day of work at her new job and said "Voix! You kick ass!!" and put her tiara on Voix's head.

    Alex, mute lo these many days, suddenly found that she had LOTS to say, and immediately began to write down her thoughts in the form of her thesis. "Thank you, Voix! Because of you I will get my MFA!"

    Yes, Voix thought. I kick ass...

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    Oh my god, Rand, that is the Best Story EVER!!!

    I do kick ass!

    *mwah*

    Voix

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger Alex said…

    Mmmmm, do I smell burnt toast?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home