Lodown

Monday, May 29, 2006

Love it!

It’s hot. H-O-T hot. It’s so hot, that my refrigerator has ran out of ice so now I have to drink sort-of cool water. But I love it. I love the heat and I love how tired it makes me, because I love taking afternoon naps on my couch during a long quiet weekend.

On Friday, I sat on my dusty porch with the dog and watched families around the neighborhood pack up their trucks and SUV’s and head out of town. It occurred to me that we might be at a time in our lives when we should consider renting a cabin some weekend and inviting friends up for some good ol’ Minnesota style hanging-around-ness. I mentioned this revelation to my husband and he loved it. So there you go. One of these summer weekends, we may just pack up our own SUV and head “up North”. Why the heck not.

Also, we now own a boat. It’s a long story and I didn’t necessarily want said boat, but now it’s ours and we don’t know where to put it. It’s just a rickety old thing and I don’t want it taking up space in my back yard (which is now a huge plot of dirt because it is taking twice as long to do the landscaping as we expected, but I digress…). Any ideas?

What else? Oh yeah. I have made a decision. Starting tomorrow, no more daytime television. Since I stopped working, I have done basically nothing. Other than a lovely trip to NYC, I have laid on my couch and learned about all sorts of scrumptious dishes I will probably never cook on the Food Channel, and I have made long lists of all the places I will probably never get to visit from the Travel Channel. I can quote Dr. Phil in my sleep and I often do. I don’t know where this lazy streak came from, but I suspect is has something to do with the utter exhaustion I felt after entirely too long at a job where I was surrounded by ugliness. I took a break, maybe even sort of a deserved break, but now it’s over. Starting tomorrow, I will read and write and walk the dog.

You are all my witnesses. Seriously.

6 Comments:

  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger Voix said…

    I'm such a TV junkie that I had to say, "No Cable" while working on my MFA. It's like a disease or something -- once the set is switched on, it's impossible to turn off.

     
  • At 11:28 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    You go, Alex. Read. Write. Walk the dog.

    Productivity can be yours!

     
  • At 6:13 AM, Blogger Geoff Herbach said…

    Get off the couch Alex!

    I'm here! I'm here!

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Alex said…

    Ok, ok, you can have the AC. And I am off the couch, I am firmly planted in the office chair and blogging. Does that count?

     
  • At 12:13 AM, Blogger Lucas said…

    So glad someone else likes the heat. What's with all the bitching about summer? We live in one of the coldest freakin' places on the planet and yet, when it warms up, people whine like little babies. I need the heat. Gimme some serious heat for a good long stretch. A long enough stretch that eventually, I get sick of it. That's how I get ready for winter, people. I soak in as much heat as I can stand. Then and only then, when I can't stands it no more, I welcome in the fall in peace, which will eventually lead to winter which seems to last an eternity. I'm with you Alex. Let's fry like bacon while we can!

     
  • At 7:52 AM, Blogger Something dirty said…

    mmm Bacon. Dr. Phil, ya gotta love him. That's the only daytime TV I can do anymore, and rarely at that.

    I was going to ask if you have a DVR, but that's no help to someone who wants to watch less tv, huh?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home