Lodown

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

NYC

Heading out to the Big Apple Friday morning. Really early Friday morning. This trip is going to be different than previous visits because two friends are coming with me. We will stay at the Dylan Hotel and eat our way through the city. Normally I stay with my friend Anna in Brooklyn. It will be fun to stay in Manhattan, but I will miss Brooklyn. If you ever visit New York, give Brooklyn a visit too, it has a lot to offer.


I am a little concerned because I have been feeling pretty crappy for the last
couple of weeks, but I am hoping that the spirit of the city will snap me out of it. There will be a lot of distance to cover, many delicacies to indulge in, and I cannot miss a beat, or a cupcake, because of a little headache. Soldier on!

On the list of activities are Magnolia Bakery, Joe’s Pizza, Pastis French Café, and Katz Deli. Seeing a pattern here? Really, it won’t all be about food. We’ll also go to the park, of course, and they may even talk me into a carriage ride (I avoid them because I feel sorry for the horses, I can’t help it). Ground Zero, Battery Park, Staten Island Ferry, Rockefeller Plaza, 5th Avenue, Chelsea Market, and of course my personal favorite, the West Village, are also on the list. With lots of breaks for street vendor hot dogs and Krispy Kremes.

I expect it to be my last trip to New York for a while, and I am especially looking forward to sharing it with my friends, who have never been there before. There truly is no city like New York City.

8 Comments:

  • At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have a ball, Alex! No rest 'til Brooklyn!

    Or something very much like that.
    :-)
    Dan

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Jason said…

    I'm so jealous. Please visit my beloved Brooklyn and come back and tell us all about it!

    Let me plan a day for you: First, get a latte and pastry at Sweet Melissa on Court and Butler and then take the bus to Prospect Park for a walk in NYC's best park. Have an italian ice while you walk. Visit the farmer's market and eat a fresh plum. Eat falafel from a vendor for lunch. The Brooklyn Musuem of Art and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden (I proposed to my wife there!) are right next to the park for you to explore. At the end of the day hit Two Boots Pizza on 2nd for dinner and frozen drinks.

    Did I mention that I was jealous? Have a great time!

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger Alex said…

    Jason, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Sweet Melissa's! Anna used to live on Atlantic and we would go there for breakfast every morning. Sitting on that back patio with a cup of coffee...there is nothing better. I have been dying to get to the Botanic Gardens. Thanks for the reminder.

    I wish I could bring Magnolia cupcakes back for each and every one of you.

     
  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger Jason said…

    Small world! I used to live right off Atlantic on Baltic and 5th. The Birdus lived not far from Atlantic on Union and Smith...way too short a walk from Sweet Melissas.

    Magnolia cupcakes...mmmmm....

    a single tear rolls down my cheek

     
  • At 10:51 PM, Blogger Lucas said…

    Oh Dan! It' No Sleep Till Brooklyn. But not everyone is quite the Beastie Boys freak as I.

    Alex, have a blast. Tear it up! Come home tired and hoarse! Make me proud!

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Blogger Geoff Herbach said…

    Excellent! Have a great time.

    If Manhattan and Brooklyn get boring, I suggest Flushing, Queens. Best pizza I ever had is there. And, Best Dim Sum! (I don't like Dim Sum, actually.)

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    Zabar's and Barney Greengrass bagels, too!

    Have a great time.

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    Actually, Barney Greengrass is "The Sturgeon King" and is better known for fish. But you can get a heck of a bagel there too.

    541 Amsterdam Avenue at 86th Street

     

Post a Comment

<< Home